July 5, 2022

Why Cannabis is Dangerous for Pets: 

Read Time:1 Minute, 9 Second

By: Kimberly Calderon

It is becoming more of a common occurrence that people’s pets are accidentally consuming edibles and different forms of cannabis. Pets and cannabis are not a topic that is fully taken seriously and this is why it is a dangerous combination. 

According to Michigan State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, “Marijuana is toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. Animals process many compounds differently than humans do, and as a result, many foods and medications that are safe for us are not safe for them. These include acetaminophen, ibuprofen, raisins and grapes, macadamia nuts, chocolate, and the artificial sweetener xylitol” (2018). 

Marijuana and pets is a very dangerous combination that can have many negative effects on the health of your pet and can lead to death because it is poisonous to them. So, make sure to be responsible for where you leave your cannabis products for the safety of your furry friends. 

I had an instance where I came home from work and noticed my puppy eating one of my edibles from my bedside drawer. He became very sick and threw up and I had to take him to the hospital. I can surely attest to the topic that cannabis is harmful for pets. Overall, a terrifying experience for the both of us but my puppy is feeling better already!  

Happy
Happy
100 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %